Discovered in the vaults of the Cinémathèque Française, the French film archive announced to the world that they have discovered almost a 100 year old silent film version of "Sherlock Holmes" starring the great William Gillette.
This film, lost for generations, is the only on screen appearance of Gillette as the great detective.
The film is being restored in a combine effort by the Cinémathèque Française and the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. The restored film will premiere at Toute la Mémoire du Monde, the film restoration festival of the Cinémathèque Française, in January 2015, and will be shown to the U.S. at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival in May 2015.
For more information, read I Hear of Sherlock's article.
- Home Page
- Crew Investitures and Awards
- Newsletters & Crew Meeting Logs
- Barque Society Pastiches
- Many Faces of Sherlock Holmes
- Ephemera -- General Stuff
- Special Events
- World of Sherlock Holmes
- Sherlock Societies
- The Beacon Society
- Doyle's Complete Fictional Works
- The Puzzles of Sherlock Holmes
- Autographed Portrayals of Sherlock Holmes